Thursday, September 20, 2018

Another Poem -- Sitting, Looking East


Sitting, Looking East

The sky is confused
It doesn’t’ know what it should do
There it sits, gray and foreboding, and light and blue
As the sun continues to move westward

The lake, before me, ripples from the breeze
There are calm reflections along the quiet shore
While Palm branches dance in the wind
A small alligator glide’s to and fro

In the distance a rumble of thunder sounds
As two clouds collide in the confusion
It is as if they are bullies
Fighting to dominate the sky

I think about this sky of mine
Oh, the things it has seen
The gods, Mercury and Apollo, and more
Taking us to the heavens

But what have we learned in all these quests?
What have we gained?
We’ve lived millenniums – and more
But has humanity changed?

I am told Cain killed Able in a jealous rage
And Jacob was cast into a well by envious brothers
As I look around I see the same today
Why?

We see ourselves as virtuous
But are we?
Really?
I wonder, with little hope of an answer

The sky is confused
And so am I.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...