Tuesday, September 18, 2018

A Poem for Today


Ode to the Past
The light grows dim
As the evening sun gleams its last light
Storm clouds pass over
Extinguishing what little remained

I settle myself in an easy chair
To wait for the night
Life has taken its toll
As the path was rugged

It had been so narrow at times
I could barely step
So steep,
 I clung with curled fingers and toes

Oft though it had opened wide before me
As I moved with great speed
So much speed I missed the grandeur
And all the greatness it offered

There were times it seemed not a path
But a vast river flowing towards the sea
And I a single fish
Struggling to reach home

Always I seemed to be alone
But as I consider now my course
I realize it was never so
I was never alone

There beside me was my family
Friends led me along the way
Always forward
And God watched and waited

In this journey, I’ve seen great things
And petty things as well
We all struggle to understand ourselves
As we try to know the unknowable

Soon enough night will arrive
Its stars a reminder of lives well lived
The moon casts it reflected glow
On all the world cloaked in silence

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...