Thursday, October 22, 2020

Humanity

This polarization of society seems to be destroying our humanity.  I had an interesting question presented to me this morning as I was relaxing after a game of pickleball.  A lady I had just met asked me a question.  She said a young man who was employed to care for the grounds in our community had rung her front door and asked to use the bathroom.  She said he had a look of panic in his eyes.  She asked what I would have done.  It seemed like such a simple question.

She went on to explain her mate, who was a doctor had been completely upset when she allowed him in.  He didn’t have a mask on, didn’t remove his muddy shoes and spent a long time in the bathroom.  Her companion explained they didn’t let their friends in for fear of COVID, how could she let in a complete stranger.

I’ve lived in this community now for two years and the comings and goings of the lawn care workers second nature.  They are in a word ubiquitous.  I don’t think any of them would come to my door unless they saw no other option to take care of a personal necessity.  So, for me the answer was simple.  I’d let them in to take care of their themselves.  Yet there are those who see these workers as servants and perhaps a class below us, or as unskilled laborers who should be treated with less respect because they are only grass cutters.

There are community pools in our community that have bathrooms, and I routinely see residents’ question why these workers may occasionally use them, since the rooms are clearly marked for resident use only. I’ve never bothered to respond to these questions, but it strikes me that people are willing to get on board with causes, but they don’t want to actually have to deal with the needs of individual people.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We also came to your community two years ago. When we first came, the bathrooms around at the community pools could only be accessed by residents with gate access cards. They moved the gates back, I heard, to allow the UPS, Fedex, and Amazon drivers, and other workers to have a place to take care of their personal necessities rather than running back to a central point, or to leave the community entirely. We too, would let them in to take care of themselves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...