Sunday, November 20, 2011

#$%^ Occupy Someplace


As the occupy someplace movement goes along I think my sympathy has moved beyond waning, due mostly to the whining.  I believe individuals have a right to assemble and to protest, but at what point does this protest movement provide anything beyond a generalized whine about the disparity of wealth?
Today’s news is filled with the stories of how police at UC Davis, sprayed pepper spray on students who were peacefully demonstrating and this unprovoked action should lead to the firing of the UC Davis Chancellor.  All the liberal blogs are alive with the recollections of this attack, with affected students recounting how they were attacked without warning.
Since I wasn’t there I have no opinion on whether the officer was justified or not.  That will determined in the investigation that will come, but there are certain truths in any protest.  When authority is confronted it will react, sometimes with undue force, to not expect that is beyond naivety.  In this case the officers used a non-lethal weapon, I am old enough to remember a protest at Bowling Green College in Ohio where the young men in the National Guard were not equipped with non-lethal weapons and when tensions boiled over young people were killed.
You know the movement is running out of steam when shows like the Daily Show are able to find the foolishness inherent in this activity. 




The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Occupy Wall Street Divided
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook



2 comments:

Carol............. said...

I howled watching the video at the absolute truth it portrayed with a humorous twist. I will have to pass this along!

COMMON SENSE tells me that there will always be someone more intelligent or less intelligent, prettier or less attractive, or richer or poorer than I am. I don't protest or whine about the fact.

But I have found that sometimes the worst whiners and complainers are the least motivated in moving ahead in their personal lives and use their often self-imposed negative predicaments as a badge of self-righteousness.

Thanks once again for another good post.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I rather enjoyed the video too. A lot of material gets left unwritten because it skewers the wrong people. I'm glad that Stewart at least sometimes plucks the low-hanging fruit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...