Friday, September 28, 2012

Flight


There is something in my being.  I don’t know precisely what, but there is something that finds freedom in fight.  I don’t fly for a living anymore, and I haven’t for an eternity, but still I can close my eyes and escape to a world where flight is real.  I can see the land rush beneath my wings, I can feel the freedom of the air, the power of the engines, the joy of leaving the land behind.
I know not everyone sees this as special, in fact I would suspect many would imagine me a bit deranged in what I see in my minds eye.  I can listen to a wonderful symphony and in the midst I close my eyes and be transported to towering canyons of cumulous clouds where I soar and turn with grace through the air.  I become one with the ideal that John Gillespie Magee, Jr created for me when I first read his poem as a young teen, or heard it on the television as the stations signed off at night.
Whenever the stresses of life seem to weigh me down I slip away and imagine what it was like when there was only the sounds of the winds in the wires and the rumble of the engine to guide you through a vast and open space.


1 comment:

Ted Licence(Airpear) said...

“And touched the Face of God!” I thought it was only me; even though I haven’t flown in 35 years, I dream of missions at night, and daydream of the kick when afterburners light, to run my fingers along the Wing during preflight, and to talk to fellow Phantom lovers on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...