Monday, November 7, 2011

On Unions


I made an observation on Facebook about Connecticut Power and Light, and the State Regulators who oversee them.  It has taken CP&L over a week to restore power after an early season snowstorm blanketed the state.  As of 11/6/11 they still had not restored power to over 77,000 customers.  I wondered if when the investigation on why CP&L responded so poorly began state regulators would be held accountable.  It was my guess they would not.  Along the way someone I don’t really know commented “What, no comment about overpaid ,(sic)lazy union workers?”
What I find irksome in that comment is it reflects the typical pro-union (i.e. liberal) belief that every conservative is 100% anti-union 100% of the time.  Our first thought is to blame the union for everything, just as they blame big business for all the ills of the nation.  Is it that liberal’s see the world only in black and white, there is no middle ground for discussion?  This jaded view of mine seems to be reinforced by a number of my high school acquaintances now conversing on Facebook.  One has been so narrow as to say greed did not exist before Enron.  Others have talked about all that is good and right with the #OWS protest.
So as a fiscal conservative what do I think about Unions?  The more I consider them I come away mixed about their need and their value.  I am not so naïve as to believe all corporate management is benevolent and makes corporate decisions with regard to its work force.  Left on their own management of today is, I believe, every bit as likely to revert to the same despotism that led to the original creation of guilds.  Every company would replace its entire manufacturing process with robots if they could.  But so far, unions seemed to have cared little about protecting the jobs of the workforce, concentrating instead on wage and benefit demands.  They have allowed millions of jobs to be outsourced to offshore manufacturing with little criticism leveled at their role.  Union rules have led to the best qualified being passed over or eliminated based on seniority alone.  Union stewards have protected the incompetent at the cost of the skilled.  Union leaders have drained the coffers of union retirement plans, yet still they lead the unions.  All in all I think unions serve a purpose, I am just not convinced it is a universally good purpose. 
This has been heavily reinforced with the public service and teachers unions, whose protest centers exclusively on protection of their taxpayer funded benefits.


2 comments:

Gino said...

i work in a union production environment. i cant imagine being there without union protections and bargaining. such is the nature of the business i'm in.

that said: i am at constant odds with my leadership when it comes to political matters. CA is bleeding production jobs from all orifaces, and still they admonish me to vote democrat to protect my job, as the democrats who run this state create more policies to drive production over the border or off shore...
and they blame that on the GOP for allowing them to leave, a GOP that had zero agenda setting power of any kind.

John said...

Gino,
I grew up with two staunch democratic parents in a strongly democratic town, Hyde Park NY. Both were union members in the State Employees union. Being from the home town of Franklin Roosevelt we got a lot of pro-union stuff in civics and history.

I certainly see the need for some unions, to protect worker rights, workplace safety, wage and benefits, and such.

Since I've worked for the Federal Government most of my adult life I am not sure I understand unions for state and federal workers, but in the spirit of truth in advertising, I am a union member of the Mail Handlers Union. Mostly so I can leach onto their health insurance and not burden the Tri-Care system or VA.

I am just torn about the invasive politics and one-sided support of the political parties you mention, and how unions and management are willing to kill a company to protect their positions, rather than find or form a symbiotic relationship.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...