Monday, March 30, 2020

Mid-Day Dream


It was a struggle, attempting to balance the wants of the three grandkids, the demanding schedule of a Doctor son, the absence of a wife who was with the daughter-in-law and our forth grandchild, and an everchanging balance of rental cars and return flight schedules.
Our son needed to be at a job interview early the next day so he had taken off the evening before, just after I had made arrangements to fly home from a nearby airport after dropping off the rental car.  The grandkids and I had just checked into a new hotel after deciding it was too far to drive to Greenville, North Carolina that afternoon and I would drop them off the next morning after their mother had arrived home.
As I asked them if they wanted to head down to the pool for a quick swim before we sorted out what to do for dinner, or if we should push on to Greenville that night and I would leave extra early the next day the door to our room suddenly burst open as John showed up with a shoulder covered in suits and his hands filled with suitcases.
“What are you doing here?” I asked as I struggled to get into my swimsuit while the kids were in the other room.  In that effort, I fell backward onto one of the three beds in the room.  “The interview isn’t until later in the day and I figured we could drive over there together in the morning.  This way I could help with the kids.” 
As I wrestled with the thoughts of how I could adjust all the changing schedules.  Where would I turn in the rental car, how would I change the flight schedule, would I ever see my wife again, and who was feeding the cats?  The phone rang and I woke up.
Oh well, just another day of social distancing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...