Monday, August 27, 2018

John S. McCain


Unfortunately, death is a consequence of life.  As much as some would deny it and attempt to postpone its inevitability it will find us all.  Some when we least expect it, others through a long and painful process.  The best we can hope for is that while we are alive we are truly alive and living a joyful life.
This weekend John S. McCain III lost his battle with a brain cancer called glioblastoma.  As of now the treatment of this cancer is limited and the prognosis is fixed.  The only real question is how long between discovery and death does the patient have?  I believe Senator McCain, CAPT, USN (Ret), accepted his fate with the same resolve he lived his life, but those with much closer knowledge will fill our news with testimony on this.  My observations of Senator McCain are, at best, limited and for the most part second hand taken from people I know and respect.
Brigadier General Bud Day and I once chatted about Senator McCain and he had nothing but praise for the man.  Having shared a room in the Hanoi Hilton I believe General Day had a view of the man’s character that few others could ever hope for.  So, when Senator McCain was vilified by the press in the 2008 Presidential campaign (as they sided with candidate Obama) and again vilified by President Trump’s supporters in 2017 I dismissed those accusations as pure political dirt.  For me, this was an easy choice.
But I also saw the petty side of the Senator as he allowed his anger to flare and cloud his reason from time to time.  There were instances when I saw him go back to his naval roots and actively seek to undermine the Air Force’s efforts to modernize.  In at least one instance I think it was based on a proposal to allow an Air Force General to command the United States Pacific Command (his father’s old job and historically a Navy position). 
As the years go by I think the legacy of John S. McCain will continue to be one his family, friends, supporters, and the nation will take pride in.  Historically, a son will try and live up to his father’s legacy.  I think John did that and more.  I wish his family strength in this time of loss, and God’s grace to John in his death.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...