Sunday, February 15, 2009

So What's the Story

In an earlier posting I expressed my concern this new administration and the Congress must find a way to govern. Even though they have won a strong majority, I had hoped the Democrats would not duplicate the mistakes of the previous administration. I had hoped they would learn to compromise and work towards the common good, bringing in the minority and addressing their concerns.

Now, 800 plus billion dollars later have they done that?

Sadly I find the answer to be no! I am sure if you ask Democratic leadership they will find cause to blame the Republicans, and if asked the Republicans have reasons for their positions as well. The unfortunate truth is they refuse to work towards compromise and a shared vision. This doesn't not offer me hope they will grow to lead the nation, or work towards compromise and a stronger government where we can all buy into the end solution.

Regardless of the rhetoric of the President, I don't see the Congressional leadership buying into a bi-partisan approach. With his background in IL politics I have to wonder how many of his sound bites are heartfelt, and how many are but smoke for the backroom deals he's already made? How many congressional "bridges to nowhere" are in this latest stimulus package? How many worthless studies, or grants for already well endowed endowments?

I don't see my stocks or mutual funds returning to 2005 levels in this decade....ah well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...