Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Back Roads of Home.


I think one of the things I miss from my years of growing up in Hyde Park is the character of the back roads that connect the people of the township.  Each road had its own unique character, different from the others and each a challenge to confront and learn from.  Of course, the 16-year old me would say they were fun to drive with some speed as I imagined myself behind the wheel of a sports car.

For example, take the road course that began in East Park, at the intersection of Violet Avenue (9G) and Crum Elbow Road, proceed along Crum Elbow until you make a hard right on Cream Street, climbing up the hill past the farms, then a right onto Dutchess Hill Road headed to East Dorsey Lane, where you would make a hard right onto Creek Road heading back to Violet Avenue and East Park.

The scenery was ever-changing, the roads more often than not vacant, and the terrain challenging.  Oh, if I only had a British sports car like a Triumph or Austin Healy, and a tweed newsboy hat instead of this plain old Chevy Bel-Air and baseball cap!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was fun driving the back roads from East Park. I lived in East Park and would go to Pleasant Valley using the back roads. I had some real nice cars in my day that were gun to drive. Ask Ernie Agnew!! The scenery was awesome. Passed camps, farms and God's Country. I wish I could return to them days. Winter and snow were challenging but even more fun to drive. I thank Jesus for the short time he gave me coming from a small town. Had great Friends. Now that I'm a Senior I yearn for just one more day of like it was. Back In the Day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...