Friday, February 17, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to a Decision


One of my great character flaws is an unwillingness to allow a vacuum form.  I don’t know why I have this flaw or when it developed, but I have for as long as I remember been willing to make decisions when I felt it necessary to do so.  Some have been within my authority and others have not, like when my boss was unwilling, so I made one and moved forward.  These have always been minor administrative-type decisions, never the big ones involving life and death choices.
We are, right now, in an interesting time for my organization.  We have a boss who wants to make decisions and move out at a speed far faster than anyone else in the organization does.  His immediate advisors all support this approach and are doing everything they can to implement his directions.  For probably the first time in my life I think we are moving too fast, and making decisions without thinking through the consequences of them.  These are multi-million dollar choices, and call me crazy but I would like to see some discussion on the benefits, risks and needs before we make them.
One of the most sage pieces of advice I ever received from a mentor was “relax, don’t make a decision before it is absolutely necessary.”  This allows time for more information, more options and more understanding of what that choice will lead to.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...