Saturday, June 12, 2010

On a summer's day here in Florida the heat and humidity can be stifling. I wonder how our parents and forefathers dealt with it in an age before universal air-conditioning? The simplest act, like mowing the yard, is one that much be planned and accomplished before the heat saps all your motivation away.

Alas, with the oil industries contamination of our Gulf, going for a swim in the ocean doesn't offer the relief it used to. But for me that really hasn't been an option I've been interested in for some time. I think the last time I was there the "save the whales" gang kept tying to push me back into the ocean... I finally had to swim off and come ashore down the beach a ways and sneak back to the car.

I've been wondering what I should really do with my life and I'll be damned if I can think of anything different. Granted, I would really enjoy a house with fewer things piled floor to falling over point, but of all the problems that is really a minor one. At work I find challenge, camaraderie and satisfaction. There are even days I think I make a difference.

For the past several months I've been following the adventures of a 16 year old sailor, attempting to single handedly sailaround the world. She has shown focus, confidence and resourcefulness I think every parent would like in their child. Unfortunately she had some problems in the Indian Ocean and became the focus of the nightly news. She is safe now, but I am sure the second guessing of the press has only just begun. I hope, no I am confident, she will handle the talking heads with the same poise, and courage she demonstrated on the ocean. It is unfortunate her 15 minutes of fame was the rescue.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...