Monday, August 8, 2016

Waiting for the Storm


As a senior in high school we studied, and I think performed, at least one of the two scenes from the Samuel Beckett play “Waiting for Godot.” For those unfamiliar with this work, the title character never appears, but there is a running dialogue between the two characters, Vladimir and Estragon, who are waiting for him.

This week promises to be like that play.  There is a low pressure area in the Gulf of Mexico, which according to the weather people last Friday is supposed to dump epic, apocalyptic (cats and dogs sleeping together), and massive amounts of rain on me all week.

I’ve prepared for this, but as each hour passes the forecasters push the expected arrival back, and thankfully, the total amounts down. I think we need to come up with some kind of confidence rating scale for these long-range forecasts.

Something akin to the this.

Right now I am 100% confident it is raining

Over the next hour it will, in all probability, rain  

Over the next six hours I am pretty sure it will rain

Over the next 24 hours I think it will rain in this area somewhere

Over the next 7 to 10 days… look at the pretty colors on the weather map.

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

I still go with the Bob Dylan version that you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows...

Hope all goes well for your area.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...