Saturday, October 17, 2015

I Wish

I Wish
“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride” my mother would chide when I asked for things outside her reach.  As I grew – I came to understand the importance of that saying.  For nothing is achieved without effort, desires fulfilled without personal investment leads to just more desires, and perhaps a loss of appreciation for the gift.  If everything is provided and nothing earned, then the question is what does that do to self-worth?
Ah well, that said we enter once again in the quadrennial right of passage for this nation.  A time when we will be bombarded with promises -- both sincere and not, condemnations, ad hominem attacks, elusive non-answers and flashy media propaganda, and as Christmas approaches I feel compelled set down my political wish list.
I wish for candidates who could explain the role of government so people could choose.
I wish for an electorate that demanded more then sound-bites of information.
I wish for a media that conveyed the news, not their opinion.
I wish for a government that lived within its means

I wish for politicians to inspire the nation to greatness, not condemn and divide us through their rhetoric.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...