Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why Not?

Is the purpose of life utilitarian?  Are we only to seek what is useful?  Why is the world painted in such wonderful hues if we are to only do what is useful?


Oh, I know there are those who strive for this, just as there are those who believe progress has gone too far and we should live as they did in the late 19th century.  But I am not of that mind.  I lead a quiet stable life, perhaps it should be enjoyed just a bit fuller?


To paraphrase William Shakespeare, from Hamlet, To buy or not to buy?  That is the question.  Whether it is nobler to suffer the large turning radius and rugged ride of a truck, or take new wheels to carry me forth and by purchase change myself.  Oh to swiftly dart through parking lots and turn but once into any spot.  To find agility where once there was none and by so doing move gaily among the herd.


There are many pros to my truck, and so few cons.  There are many cons to a sports coupe, but so many pros.  It is always this way, what is right is usually in opposition to what is fun.


I should have bought an SSR!

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

So interesting to get this peek into someone else's rationale...


I experience God as very extravagent...birds and flowers speak this frequently...and a significant historical occurance speaks it loud and clear.
It seems that part of being a good steward is to enjoy all that is given...and give forth praise for the same.

How all this fits into car choices...I don't know...but I agree, life is not just utilitarian.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Nope, not just utilitarian. But I do think that people will try to have enjoyment to the exclusion of what works (take a look at personal, state and federal budgets!) and that doesn't work either. Psalm 119 might be brought to bear on the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...