Saturday, January 8, 2011

A thought -- When Christmas Decorations Come Down

When I was very young Christmas was a magical time of year.  As I grew older it seemed to lose something.  Perhaps this is just a normal process as we age and begin to believe we know everything.  When, as parents, we see Christmas anew through the eyes of our children some of the magic returns.  As our children grew I refused to let that magic disappear as it did when I was younger.

I've given a lot of thought about why Christmas seems to take forever to arrive for a child, yet for adults it seems like only yesterday when it was last Christmas.  I think the secret lies in the time-space continuum.  If you think about it, for a three year old the next christmas is 1/3 of his or her lifetime away.  More accurately it is probably one half of her remembrance away.  One half or one-third of a lifetime is a very very long time.  No wonder Christmas takes forever to come.  Now for me Christmas is 1/60th of a lifetime away.  Heck, you can hardly even see 1/60th of something.  It is almost Christmas already!

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

It all goes by so fast...

John said...

I wonder if it because we don't want it to? When we want something it takes forever, when we don't care it sneaks up on us and when we don't want something there is never enough to stop it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...