Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rememberance

This is the day set aside to remember the end of the 1st World War, the war to end all wars. We have made it a day to recognize the sacrifices, service and commitment of our men and woman of the American Armed Forces.

I spent the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in a jet, headed to Dallas, TX. Somehow, that seemed okay to me, working on this Veteran's Day. As I gazed out the window, crossing just north of Mobile AL I thought of friends I've lost in defense of this nation. I would like to take a few minutes to reflect on them and what I've learned from them.

In a nameless desert in the middle of Iran I watched Capts Hal Lewis, Rick Backe, and six others die when the EC-130 flight deck was crushed by an RH-53 helicopter that was disoriented as it took off in the sand. Rick was my original instructor as I trained to fly the MC-130E Combat Talon. He was patient, knowledgeable and had a passion for life. He made sure I was good enough to join a pretty small group of people qualified to navigate the C-130 as it flew 250' above the ground, in weather and at night. Hal was one the aircraft commanders in the 1st SOS when I arrived. He was a very good pilot, steady hands and made sure his crew knew what was expected and ready to perform. He partied hard, had his share of faults, but was about doing whatever it took to accomplish the mission.

About nine months later, in January 1981 an MC-130E, returning from a training mission flew into the Ocean, off the coast of the Philippines. On board were Major John King, Capt Greg Peppers, Capt Jeff Blume and TSgt Jack Felton, all friends and people I had flown with for the past year. Greg and Jack were with me on the Desert One fiasco and Greg was probably the best partner I had ever flown with. If he had survived I think he could be a General today. Greg taught me to enjoy the moment. Jack Felton was our Flight Engineer, he had a marvalous sense of humor and was a great mimic of Father Guido Sardouchi. This crask taught me if your number is up you are going to die, if not you won't! for there is no other way to explain how Jeff survived the crash. I think it had a serious impact on his outlook from then on.

Please take a moment to think of your friends and loved ones and what you gain from them.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...