Friday, May 4, 2012

Curmudgeon Like Thoughts on a Monday


As my eyebrows grow longer then the hair on my head I find myself pining away with Andy Rooney type thoughts.  Random firings of my synapsis that trigger observations on life and the world I see around me.
I see that bastion of deep liberal thought, MSNBC, is pushing a newly released book that shows definitively that it is the Republicans that have caused this vast rift in civil discourse.  Funny how if a liberal says something, whether they have factual data to back it up or not it must be true.  But what I remember is political incivility to the degree we have it today really began with the 2000 election of George Bush where the Democratic candidate refused to concede the election until every hanging chad was counted and the Supreme Court made a ruling.  This led to such cooperative positions as How American Elections Became a Criminal Enterprise, and the creation of Move-On dot Org.  And of course the fact that President Clinton lied to the public and Congress about Monica Lewinski and the Republican’s attempted to hold him accountable in the late 1990’s is really just the Republican’s creating an ugly civil discourse, unlike the civility shown Nixon during his terms? 
Why is it that the Boston Red Sox are condemned to playing ½ a season of good baseball?  They can’t seem to put a whole year together to save their lives.  Either they start out strong and sputter at the end, or they start out in the basement and climb up to the top for the playoffs.  Or like last year, they stink in the beginning, dominate all summer long, and then tank the month of September.
When did it become necessary to intimidate advertisers because you disagree with the program they advertise on?  If enough people stop listening to the program then that would end the advertising.  But wait!  Isn’t that the free market at work, and that would mean you don’t get your way if more people disagree with your view than agree.  No, obviously a commercial enterprise must bend to the will of the elites who know what is best for America, free speech in America is way overrated anyway.
I am, I think, 1/16 Tuscarora Indian on my maternal grandfather’s side.  That makes me twice as much Indian as Ms. Warren but since I’ve never associated with the tribe, I’ve never claimed the status of a Native American.  When your looking for an edge I guess you will grasp at any straw, and then have to learn to tap dance when you’re called out on it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...