Monday, October 17, 2011

When I Close My Eyes


When I close my eyes, I see a future where all people want to achieve.  Not because someone says they must, but because they think it the right thing.  A place where people believe they are responsible for themselves, and their children and it is their choice on how they live, not the states.  But then I open them to the reality that this can never be, because we humans come from an endless variety of backgrounds, are shaped by an almost infinite number of conditions, and at any one point in our life have differing desires and goals.
I also see a reality where we as a small family group cannot do everything we need to live in this modern world, we must band together in a larger assemblage, a nation.  Without this larger collective we would still be living as we did thousands of years ago; where survival was the driving force.
So at the end of the day the question of how to reach utopia is really one of finding the smoothest path through the reality that is us.

2 comments:

Jeannette said...

I remember reading that someone quite worth listening to said..."In this world you shall have many troubles..."
and as you complete that quote in your own head with your eyes closed or open, I hope you are of good cheer. Interesting thoughts. and value in them even though utopia isn't on the map, is it?

John said...

Thank you, I am of good cheer and really appreciate you comments. As you may have noticed I wander around in my thoughts. I think I am not unique, just more willing to put them down.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...