Tuesday, March 1, 2011

As if I Needed a Humbling Experience

We all have strengths and weaknesses.  We all like to play to those strength's and mask, as much as possible, those weaknesses.  This weekend I had the opportunity to visit and spend time with my brother, unfortunately the cost was to demonstrate my inability to hit a golf ball with any consistency.  Plus the greens fees at some pretty pricey golf courses.

Friday I drove from a meeting in Marietta GA to Jacksonville FL to hook up with my brother, his college roommate, and the roommate's 16 year old son.  We then proceeded to play 72 holes of golf over the next three days.

Day 1:  Pete Dye's Valley course at TPC at Sawgrass.  Let me say up front Pete Dye is a sadist.  I hadn't played much this winter and it showed.  I think I shot a 115 and lost about half a dozen balls.  Dye's valley has narrow fairways with lots and lots of water, although I found other places to lose balls to as well.

Day 2:  World Golf Village, 36 holes of wonderfully groomed fairways, greens and hazards.  106 and 103, but only another half dozen balls.  When we started the fog was still lingering over the course, so I am amazed I found the fairway at all.  Maybe I should always play in a fog?

17th Hole, TPC at Sawgrass
Day 3: Back to TPC at Sawgrass for the Stadium Course, where the Players Championship is played in May.  The course is another Pete Dye challenge with the famous "island green" on 17.  Another dozen balls and I walk away with a 125(ish).  It was a gorgeous course and you leave in awe of what the professionals can do on it.  This year when I watch; it will be with a whole new perspective.

At least I remembered to use sunscreen!

Hard to drive home and go to work the next day, even if I know I should consider giving up golf!

P.S. The 16 year old stuck it 12 inches from the cup on 17.

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

"We all like to play to those strength's and mask, as much as possible, those weaknesses. " yes, but we have to be smaller than what we can hide behind... ; > )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...