Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Reward for a Job Well Done is More Work!

I am beginning to realize why bureaucrats are the way they are.  In my military career I was taught to strive for excellence.  The cost of failure was too great not to.  Now that I am just a paper pushing bureaucrat I have attempted to carry that same ethos to my job.  I rise early, I am in before I am obligated to, I work until after I am obligated to and I seem to do a pretty fair job at the tasks assigned me.  I've never been wed to the 40 hour work week -- it was all about getting the job done.

As I complete my assigned responsibilities I look around and it does not appear I am the atypical employee.  We have people who spend their day surfing the internet, chatting with friends and families on the phone, and making sure they are, at the minimum, in their car when their 40 hours comes to an end.  These people are given jobs, they perform those jobs and then wait for someone to give them another job.

What I have found is when I exceed expectations, my boss congratulates me and puts me on to his next pet project.  I seem to have 60 hours of stuff to cram into my 40 hours.

Funny thing, when I retired from the Air Force I looked forward to a more relaxed life.  My goal was to drive the monorail at Disney World, but they wouldn't answer my requests for an interview.  Right now that monorail looks pretty inviting.  At least I would know what direction I am going in.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...