Sunday, September 26, 2010

Once Upon a Time on C SPAN

I watched two CSPAN shows this weekend and I think it framed very nicely the rise and concerns of the American citizens who make up the Tea Party movement.

The first, a rebroadcast of the Senate trial of US Judge Porteous, being impeached by Congress shows the workings of the Senate and the arrogance of the Senators as they conduct the business of the trial. It seems obvious the rule of law does not seem to be a central concern as they move to what appears to be an inevitable decision. Personally, I don't think the loss of this Judge will be earth shattering, but it did bother me to show how political posturing is the most important thing to our elected officials.

The second show was a panel discussion of the Tea Party, hosted by the National Press Club, it included Dick Armey, Kate Zernike, Jill Lapore, and Tucker Carlson. All are authors of new books on the tea party movement and therefore these self proclaimed experts discussed the various findings of their research. I liked Armey's discussion best, but it struct me as typical of Washington discussion, all beltway insiders trying to figure out what was going on outside the beltway.

Although I won't join the Tea Party movement, it certainly matches up nicely with the concerns I've had for the past six years.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...