Sunday, January 11, 2009

Promises

I've had a chance recently to observe the act of promising, and the rationalization of compromising that promise. It strikes me odd how we can so easily make a promise, a commitment, or obligate ourselves and then rationalize why that promise isn't important, or didn't really mean what we said. How easy it has become to compromise ourselves if we see a better path, or a personal desire that conflicts the promise.

It seems we are only what we hold ourselves to be, and what others can expect of us. This is one of the foundations of our society, and civilization. I was taught that my word is my bond. I am sure most of us were taught a similar concept, but so many have thrown that away that I am left to wonder what is the value of a promise made, or what do I do when someone promises me something.

I see examples all around that significant portions of our nation now see no value in keeping their promise. Whether it be a coach of Boston College who signs a new contract, only to go to the first available job interview for what he views as a better job, a corporate executive charged with managing a company to profitability, a financial CEO who sacrifices others money in the pursuit of personal gain, or even two unnamed individuals who make a personal commitment to each other. If we can not trust each other to do what they say they will can this nation long survive?

I have also observed that those who are most likely to violate the trust of another are also the most likely to protest when this is pointed out, or they are held accountable. For me, in the final analysis, all I can do is hold myself to the standards I would hope for others, and accept that not everyone shares that view. It will mean from time to time I may be disappointed, and that when I know someone will habitually break their word I hold that promise as worthless and not ask them for one.

Twenty-eight years ago a group of my comrades and I made a promise to put our lives at risk to rescue Americans held hostage by the Iranian's. I can tell you, to a man our promise to each other, the mission, and the nation was made without duress, without hesitation and without compromise. Each of us gave one hundred percent of your skills, our abilities and effort. Eight of us gave their lives to towards that promise. Once made, not one of us, that I am aware of , ever gave a seconds thought to breaking it. We were the best chance the nation had, and if our best was not good enough that was beyond our control, but we were committed to the effort, and each other. We didn't do it for money, glory or fame, if we had been successful most of us would never have been singled out or recognized.

Today's military continue that tradition of service before self and I salute them for their sacrifices, I wonder how may civilians can even put their efforts in context. Service before self, too bad business leaders can't grasp that concept.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful-keep it up!!!
Danita Laskowski

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...